Nelson Funeral Home in Maddock History
The Nelson Funeral Home of Maddock began as the Utgaard Funeral Home in 1946 under directorship of P.W. Utgaard. Mr. Utgaard studied mortuary science at the University of Minnesota. The funeral home began in the large residence at the south end of Main Street and has remained there since it’s opening. Mr. Utgaard also operated an ambulance service.
On Oct. 1, 1956, Mr. Utgaard sold the funeral home to Mr. John M. Burke. He operated the funeral home for five years and completed some remodeling during that time. Mr. Burke also opened a chapel facility in Esmond, ND.
On November 1, 1961, the business was sold to Arthur W. Wheeler, who operated the funeral home until December of 1979. Mr. Wheeler did extensive remodeling, adding an L shaped addition which put the entire funeral home on one level. In the fall of 1975, a new garage was added to the west of the existing structure. Mr. Wheeler also completed the construction of a new chapel at Esmond in December of 1970.
The funeral home became known as the Wheeler-Nelson Funeral home in December of 1979 with the purchase of the business by Paul Nelson, with the name later changed to Nelson Funeral Home. Mr. Nelson extensively remodeled the residence and expanded the funeral home with the addition of a new chapel in Leeds and the remodeling of the main floor of the Pung Hardware Store into a chapel at Minnewaukan.
Charles A. Dunnigan became the owner of the funeral home on January 1, 1990. Dean Steinwand and Marnie J. Brooks Steinwand assumed ownership on January 1, 2008 with Dave E. Haug continuing on as director, a position he has held since 1992.